Rosanne Dingli

Rosanne Dingli

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Choosing props for your fiction

Two lemons, one whole and one sliced in half                               Image via WikipediaTelling stories your readers will enjoy involves the five senses: we all know that. It is common knowledge that humans are very sight-focussed, and that books that involve the other four senses seem to be more evocative and stirring. Good authors evoke smells, textures, tastes and noises as well as sights.


One way to intrigue and absorb readers is to use props that ensure the senses become involved. Even without lengthy descriptions, some props have the ability, even if they are mentioned briefly, to make writing come alive and palpable, palatable, or audible: all in the reader's mind. A character's suit, if made of corduroy, is suddenly textured. A villain's words, if breathed through whisky-laden breath, are even more forceful. A bell ringing in the distance, if it has a deep baritone sound, can be even more poignant.


It takes a mere two or three words to add sensuality to a sentence. The props you create have the ability to deepen and widen your scope as a writer. Rather than just have a shotgun, have one that smells of  rancid Tetra-oil. Rather than have a bicycle, have one with a squeaky wheel. Rather than have a cocktail, have one that tastes of lime and pineapple. Rather than have a plain sandwich, have one filled with shrimp and lemon mayonnaise. Don't just write about a car: have a 1969 Morris Minor Woody.


Novels are full of props that can be used more than just one way, and for more than just one reason. They serve a purpose in the story, but they can also serve to make the writer more memorable. Not that readers will be able to put a finger on what made the book more enjoyable: but they will come away with sounds, smells, sights and feelings that brought the story to life.

Many of my stories are about food. I also use memorable locations, works of art, money, artists' implements, tools and electronic appliances. The things I use in my stories are never more important than my characters or their names, but they are vital in the atmosphere I want to create. When characters move about within a location the reader can easily visualise, and use or see props that are more than just props, the story comes alive, and is remembered as one of the most impressive things they have ever read, because it involved all their senses.
Enhanced by Zemanta

13 comments:

  1. The shrimp with lemon mayo sandwich made me hungry which just proves your point that props make writing come alive by tantalising the senses. Good points, Rosanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Dale! Food especially makes my readers respond - my next thriller includes a mysterious recipe that contains a clue. Hopefully, my protagonist will read it, rather than cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosanne,

    This is an interesting and thought provoking post. I learned a lot that will help my writing in just a couple minutes. The next time I write about walking onto the production floor you'll enjoy the smell of freshly roasted peanuts. Thanks for the insight on how to add props to our writing. By the way, I think the artwork and layout of your blog is great too.

    Chris Paulsen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, I like simple things that make people enjoy writing. Thank you for liking my site!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been writing stories on my blog and in my book, but never thought of adding the sense of smell to it. Thank you so much for this gem of an idea.

    Your blog looks great.

    http://www.kathycondons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kathy - I think it's more elegant now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO interesting. I had discovered using props, but you opened the door wider for me. Thank you so much Rosanne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. adeeyoyo - passing on what I practice is what I believe in. Happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice, thank you. I rarely mention the level of detail that you advise, but I can see the difference using props makes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shrimp with lemon mayonnaise - your killing me Rosanne! Even your blog post is making me hungry :)
    Very true about amping up the volume on your descriptive narrative adds depth and flavour. Sorry got to go and make a sandwich now.

    Laine D.
    http://www.ThoughtsfromABroad.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Stuttgartgirl - not too much detail, but enough to take the readers with you. Happy writing!

    @ Laine D - just a few words manage to evoke a sensation!

    Thank you both for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Over a steaming cup of coffee, picking at the last crumbs of a piece of sumptuous cherry cake, staring out at a misty autumn garden reminiscent of other times and places, I think of earlier times and places ...and I am wonder if I should post a comment perhaps..

    ReplyDelete