Rosanne Dingli

Rosanne Dingli

Thursday, September 9, 2010

How to Have an Ad-Free Blog

Image representing Amazon Kindle as depicted i...Image via CrunchBaseExcept for a link to Amazon that features my first novel, you will note something about my blob that speaks louder than words. My blog is an ad-free zone. I have made this choice for a number of reasons. A few of them are below.

Let's talk about YOUR blog for a moment. Does your blog look very busy? Is it crammed with eye-catching elements, all competing for attention? Perhaps you should sit back and take a good look at your pages: look through new eyes. A newcomer's eyes. What do you really see? Write down the reasons visitors would stay on and read what you write.

Your topics need to be interesting, your pictures relevant. Your links should travel to expansions on the topic you chose. Entertainment, education, business: it does not matter what life area your blog is about. It simply needs to be interesting, and your writing needs to be vibrant and informative. It cannot simply be grey space that just supports your ads. Writing that is only a vehicle for your ads is wasted writing.

My blog is about books and writing. I try to provide little tidbits of information for fellow writers. I put in news about my own books. I talk about Death in Malta and According to Luke, my novels. I write about my research and the way I incorporate facts into my fiction.

Giving readers and visitors a break from ads can prove to be very refreshing. People tend to stay around longer, because there is no pressure to buy, no pressure to click on other items. A change is as good as a holiday. Enjoy your ad-free visit: it might be the only one you get all day.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Great Post! I was always fond of the eye catching elements but find that when you have less on the page and focus more on content, you get a higher visitor rate. I will try to tone it back as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Magic! I found my blog looked to busy, so I went for a plain background - easy on the eye.

    ReplyDelete